Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Like a rat trapped in a maze...

I think I finally understand the perils you can get yourself into when you chat too much. My friend Elizabeth came to my work yesterday afternoon to pick up some Corporations Law books that I got for her from work (damaged copies - in case anyone from work is reading this and thinks I'm pilfering from the company). Anyway, I started seeing everyone leave and didn't think too much of it except that I had better get back to work. But since I hadn't seen Elizabeth for a while I didn't think it would do any harm to chat a bit longer. By the time she left, I discovered I was stuck. I couldn't get back upstairs because the lifts didn't work without a security badge after 5pm and then my car keys were in the office. I was starting to get a bit panicky because the only people whose phone number I can remember who may be able to let me in had already left for the day being the ever conscientious types to come in early so they can leave early. I think I sounded a bit desperate when I approached the security guard to ask him to let me in. But he only worked for Xerox and not for CCH (probably because CCH is too cheap to hire a security guard banking on the fact that the Xerox security guard would raise the alarm if anybody was caught trying to steal tax law books to sell on the black market) and so couldn't let me in. I had to stand outside until this guy came by and felt sorry for me and let me in. While I was thanking him profusely, he said "I saw that you were stranded" .... arghh.... how embarrassing... I think I'm going to have to start thinking when I'm chatting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinion Expressed