Sunday, December 03, 2006

Environmental tendencies

Recently I went to a workshop on natural cleaning and home detox at the Watershed in Newtown. The focus of the workshop was household cleaning using natural products. I've never really considered myself a "greenie" but recently, and I don't know if it has a lot to do with the drought, I've really started to be aware about what we are doing to the environment.

Whenever I walk past someone using a hose and watering their garden, it really gets on my nerves (but of course, I'm too chicken to say anything). When parts of the State are having issues with supplying their town with potable water, people are wasting water.

I've been quite interested in all sides of the drought debate, whether farmers should be given more assistance or perhaps should be thinking about moving away from farming and getting a job elsewhere.

Whatever the answer is, I can really understand the frustration. Seeing the dark clouds which refuse to drop its load and all you want to do is will it to rain. That is how I feel each time I go visit my parents. Needless to say, they are starting to get quite anxious.

Uni has finished for the year and so I've got more time to dedicate to my creative pursuits. I started this piece a couple of months ago, but I have put it aside as I tried to finish my assignments on time.

Here is another shot. The massive thing of yarn, I picked up from Glebe markets. The woman told me that it is the same yarn used in Ken Done jumpers - hence the hypercolours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinion Expressed