Finally got around to answering the Secret Pal questions!! Here they are:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I love yarns which are really soft. I'm actually quiet happy with most yarns but I guess Rowan would be one of my favourite brands. I don't like novelty yarns and yarns which are really itchy and scratchy.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Nothing at the moment. I recently took them all out of the various bags I had them stored in and then put them all in a mug I got from work. I know that I need to have some sort of system but I haven't worked out a good one just yet. I don't know at any point in time what size needles I have.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learnt how to knit when I was about 8 years old and learnt from a friend whose grandmother taught her how to cast on. We got as far as casting on and then I learnt the rest from books. But I've had various mentors through the years, some teachers, friends and also Raymond's mum. I stopped knitting for a really long time. I would probably classify myself as intermediate as I can read most patterns and am not afraid of trying any patterns.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, but it hasn'nt been updated in a while.
5. What's your favorite scent?
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Yes, I love dark chocolate!!
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I crotchet and have recently learnt how to do tatting. I'm always on the look out for new crafts to try but consistently go back to knitting. I tried spinning a few years ago, but didn't really have the time to pursue it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I like all sorts of music, but I listen to a lot of alternative rock, pop, opera, and classical. Examples include Bic Runga and Josh Groban, Green Day, Nickleback, etc. Yes, I've got an iPod which I can convert mp3s to, but there are several other computers in the house which can play mp3s.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I'm going through this stage where my absolute favourite colour is apple green, or most shades of green. But my all time favourite colour is red and various shades of it. I'm not that particular to pastel colours.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm currently living with both my sisters and brother-in-law but this is only temporary until my younger sister buys a unit. The it will be just me and her again. I have a siamese fighting fish. My parents have four dogs which used to live with us until my parents moved to the country.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves but it never really gets cold enogh to wear hats and mittens in Sydney. Also, I haven't been able to find a hat which I look good in just yet. As for ponchos, I have to say that I've never owned one before.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks, but I also like to have one large project on the go as well so I like knitting jumpers (sweaters) or cardigans and vests.
13. What are you knitting right now?
I'm finished knitting Ivy (wrap cardigan) which needs to be sewed up, a pair of socks (Hedera from Knitty), and a skirt from spring 06 Vogue Knitting.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely! Who doesn't? Well, wait - my family!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I like circular steel needles (like addi turbos). I find straight needles too heavy now. I also don't mind bamboo DPN's but absolutely hate bamboo circulars. The wool always keep getting caught in the joins.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No, but I've been wanting to get one for ages - in particular a winder. I missed out on one by about $2 on eBay once.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
About one year. I have another UFO but I've decided to let it go and just rip it back.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
It used to be holidays at the beach, but in recent years, I've been really concerned about skin cancer and so my favourite holidays now are more cultural ones where I'm sightseeing and going to museums. Unless this question is about whether I like christmas, etc. In that case, I like Christmas the most.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I collect teacups. I started a collection of Royal Albert chintz teacups.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've been wanting to get Nancy Bush's knitting vintage socks for a while but all these other free fantastic sock patterns keep coming up and so I can't justify buying it. I don't have any subscriptions to any knitting magazines.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Top down raglan, and traditional guernseys.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes. I have the very average foot. A size 8.
23. When is your birthday?
My birthday, which I've whinged about before is on Boxing Day which is 26 December.