Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Hacking Cough of Death

I've been homebound for the last two days. I've got what a friend calls the "hacking cough of death". The last time I was inflicted by this malady, I was halfway across the world, hacking my way across the United States. It's one of those coughs where your whole body rocks and you think you're going to pass out because there is not enough air.

Anyway, it just so happened that I had an assignment due yesterday as well. I emailed my lecturer but I don't think she really believed me. This last assignment was a design one. I have managed to learn the basics of InDesign in one day. Next I'm going to start tryiing out Illustrator.

On the weekend, my bookclub met up to discuss our latest read. I actually finished the book this time. The book was "A fine balance" by Rohinton Mistry. I bought this book on a Saturday and finished reading it in a week. I was totally hooked. Whilst the focus is on the lives of two tailors, a widow and a student, it really brought to light the time in India during the "Emergency" and the Indian caste system. There are certain parts in the book which is extremely confronting and violent. One member of the bookclub couldn't keep reading after one of these rather disturbing scenes. However, I actually kept with it because I was waiting for that redeeming factor which would let me know that at the end, the story would end with on a happy note. Even if it didn't have a fairy tale ending, I was looking for hope. This book will definitely keep you thinking long after you turn the last page.



The next book on the list is "Everything is illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer. In my breathlessness state today, I trekked up five flights of stairs of the University's library so that I can get a head start on this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinion Expressed