Monday, August 31, 2009

Just a minute in August

Making: Swallowtail shawl - a while back, I won a prize on my friend Pom Pom's blog (without even knowing I had entered a competition - they're the best ones I think). The prize included two skeins of Morris & Son's Empire yarn. I decided to make the Elizabeth Zimmerman's February baby sweater for the baby in my life - the chubbers who is my nephew. Unfortunately, when I finished it, it was too small - how is it that babies grow so fast??? So I frogged it and re-knit it into the swallowtail shawl.



Reading: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel by Susanna Clarke. Have you seen this monstrous tome? I just couldn't finish it. It did not hook me in and I think I just kept half heartedly tried to read it for my book club meeting. As one of the girls in my bookclub said "it would be twice as good if it was half as long".

Eating: After last month's dinner at est. for the BFG's birthday, I didn't really know how I would go back to regular restaurants once I've experienced fine dining. So I was pretty excited when the BFG decided to take me out to dinner to Forty One. The view was pretty spectacular and if you ever go, you must visit the bathrooms. There are floor to ceiling windows looking out onto Sydney Harbour. We had the 8 course degustation menu - well that was the only choice really. The BFG suggested I have the matching wines as well but seriously, I'd be totally tanked with that much wine. I wanted to enjoy the food and wanted to be sober to the end so just ordered one glass. I've saved the menu to start a collection (as in, I hope there are more to come).

Playing: Board Games. This Saturday past, the BFG was at work so there was no house-hunting. So I went and did something I've been meaning to do for a while and that was to check out the local op shop. I love garage sales and op shops. The BFG - he's not so keen. So with a whole Saturday to myself and not having to deal with real estate agents, I hopped down to the local Vinnies and managed to come away with a 1983 version of Trivial Pursuit, 2 vintage Scrabble sets, a retro-looking top, belt and a lovely bone china plate.

The thing about playing board games is that I am fiercely competitive. I hate losing. So when the BFG wanted to play Trivial Pursuit rather than Scrabble, I knew I'd be in trouble. Especially questions from 1983.



Doing: Running - The BFG and I have signed up to do the Bridge Run (9km) again this year (well I signed us both up and he had no choice really). We went for a trial run yesterday morning and did the Bay Run (7km). It wasn't so bad but I did get a blister.

Shopping: Glasses - I've always worn contact lenses because I'm vain. And also because the last pair of outrageously expensive glasses that I bought just did not fit my Asian face. They were plastic and Miu Miu. But they kept sliding down my nose. I basically wore them between the bathroom when I took off my contacts to the bedroom. I decided to give the glasses thing another try and so recently bought another pair of outrageously expensive glasses. This time, they are plastic and Prodesign. I'm hoping the Danish have got it right and designed a pair of glasses which will sit on my face properly. My Danish boyfriend approves (but then he is rather patriotic about most things Danish). So far they have been pretty good. I wear them during the week but on the weekend I still go back to my contact lenses - because I'm vain.

7 comments:

  1. So glad to see you got good use out of the yarn - the Swallowtail is lovely. I think I'm more vain than you, by the way; I've worn contact lens since I was 17. Though I have to say there are much more attractive glasses on the market now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the shawl is gorgeous what a great prize from Sally.

    I love the book but it took a long time to get into and I was egged on my a friend whom had just read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally,
    Thanks for the yarn!! The nupps on the swallowtail sucked big time. I found them quite hard to do. I've worn contacts since I was 17 too. I've been wanting platic glasses for the whole nerdy look but most are not designed for Asians!.

    Missfee,
    Hello! I'd keep persisting with the book but I had to return it to the library. Also because I have to start the new one for this month's bookclub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the vintage scrabble set. Looks lovely and well used.
    I wear glasses also, and just this morning was thinking about making the leap to contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a list!

    You know, glasses shopping is always a challenge. For me it has more to do with uneven ears!!

    Fab use of yarn, this is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually really liked Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I don't remember it taking long to get into, but I read it when I first moved to Dublin and didn't know anyone, so had lots of time!

    As for glasses...once I find a frame, I stick with it for years. I have an unfortunate combination of the whole Asian flat nose thing, and apparently my temples are freakishly wide, so 99.99% of frames pinch there and give me headaches. I won't even get into the whole sunglasses issue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lien,
    The shawl is very very pretty. Must be super-time-consuming to make.

    If you would like to get rid of one of your vintage Scrabble sets, please let me know? I loaned my first-ever set to a friend and never got it back. It would be great to beat my boyfriend on a vintage set (I'm very competitive too). Haha.

    I think we have the same Asian nose. And the same level of vain-ness when it comes to wearing glasses. But I love buying frames. xx

    ReplyDelete

Opinion Expressed