Sunday, April 10, 2011

Married



So! We're married. 2 April 2011.
It was a great day if I may say so myself. I had an early start getting my hair and makeup done and then the BFG and his family came over to my younger sister Lucille's house to do the traditional "door kicking" thing (it's really a chance for bridesmaids to get some cash out of the groom and give him a hard time!).

We did the tea ceremony with his family and my family and then we were off to our civil ceremony. The ceremony was held at Banjo Paterson Cottage Restaurant down by the river. Our marriage celebrant was great. She really personalised the ceremony. The BFG and I wrote our own vows.

I didn't have a bridesmaid and the BFG didn't have a best man. We walked down the aisle together and that's exactly how I wanted it to be. Our sisters did a great job of doing the readings and my older sister and her husband both made a speech on behalf of my parents (who would be mortified if they had to get up and say something). The BFG's parents flew in from Denmark and his sister and family came from the UK. It really was lovely having everyone there.

The funny thing is, I've always HATED weddings. I love the idea of being married but the whole process of the wedding used to scare the crap out of me. But we had a very laid back ceremony and wedding so I think it all worked out in the end.

I'm quite proud to say that I didn't turn into a bridezilla (although I did have one incident that annoyed the hell out of me). The only thing I was quite hung up about was getting blue shoes (which I did get in the end) and getting a cake that matched the invites (that happened too - but seriously, now that I think about it - who cares??). I would have been happy to have been married in my own backyard (which we now have one too!!).

We also moved house in the same week. How crazy was that? Silly silly silly. That's all I can say.

3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous photo!!! I'm getting teary with joy just looking at it, just like how I felt that whole day. Wonderful wedding, really relaxed and full of laughs. It was perfect for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pic! Many congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Opinion Expressed