Sunday, March 11, 2012

Another cup of Sencha and the benefits of a morning run

I've had a rather productive week which I'm quite proud of. First up, I managed to finish another Sencha top which I had cut out about a month ago but never really had the time to sew up. I don't really do that much in the evenings. Mostly because by the time I get home from work and made dinner, I just want to veg out in front of the TV with the BFG (we don't always wash the dishes straight after either... shhhh).

It could be perhaps because I committed to the Lisette sewalong, I felt I really needed to get my shit together and start doing stuff. So instead of being holed up in the craft room, I took the sewing machine out and took over the dining table. Before I start the Lisette Passport dress, I thought I had better finish what I had already started and it was this Sencha top.

Sencha in 80's Japanese fabric
This fabric has moved with me about 3 times already. A friend of mine gave it to me and a whole bunch of other fabric maybe about 5 years ago and this one is my favourite. I've been saving it for something that I'll actually wear.

This is the second one I've made. The first one still needs a bit of fixing and I can see all the mistakes I made while making it. This one is slightly better. I need to take this one in a bit more on the sides but the drapier fabric is much better than the cotton I used in the last one I made.

Now that this is out of the way (as in off the floor of the craft room), I can start on the Lisette dress. I still need to get some bias binding and a zipper (because I didn't read the instructions through when I went off to buy supplies and when I got home, I was like, huh? Zipper????)

I've also been really consistent with my morning runs. Well talk about a payoff. About 2 weeks ago, we had council pickup in our area. I have a love/hate relationship with council pickup. I'm always interested to see what people are throwing out and if there were any gems among the garbage. Then I start to despair when the Council doesn't actually pick the crap up on the day specified and our street starts to look like a tip (how many clam shell plastic pools, bits of doors and more bits of Ikea Billy bookshelves can be thrown out??).

On one of my morning runs, I ran past a small Christmas tree that someone was throwing out and next to it was a small cardboard box. I was thinking that it might be some Christmas decorations that are no longer wanted so slowed down to have a sticky beak. But holy guacamole, it wasn't Christmas decorations but a Print Gocco set!! Like OMFG!! I have been wanting one of these for years and to find one abandoned on the side of the road waiting for the Council truck to come.

Then I had a dilemma, do I just stop my run now and pick it and take it home? Or finish my run, come back and get it hoping nobody else would realise what a fantastic find this was? My dedication to health and fitness got the better of me, I decided to keep running and on my cool down walk, come back for it.

Complete Print Gocco set!!
Luckily, it was still there. No other crafty types went by in the 15 minutes it took for me to finish my run and walk back. As I was walking home, all I could think of was, OMG, OMG, OMG, can't believe my luck.

I just need to get some ink for it and I can start printing away. But knowing me, I'll put this away till I have more time to do something with it.
 


5 comments:

  1. Nice score!
    I went to Spotlight on the weekend and bought way more of the Lisette fabric than I should've. But I'm thinking about going back for some more twill for the passport jacket.
    I probably should stay away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome score on the Gocco!!! I have a heap of ink if you want to use that. I hardly ever use mine anymore! I'll bring it into the city one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are. You. Kidding? What a score!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finding the Gocco set. Have fun with it. I have one too but need to spend some dosh on getting new screens to shoot.
    The top is lovely. What's the pattern? Is it a downloadable pattern? Nice one.
    Thanks for the comments on my post. We have the same conversation going on in our household. Hopefully there will be changes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The top is lovely!
    I've been threatening, for ages, to set up my sewing machine again...Okay, this year, definitely!

    ReplyDelete

Opinion Expressed