Monday, April 09, 2012

Finally Lisette!

I finally finished the Lisette Passport dress as part of Curlypop's sewalong. The sewalong was for the Continental dress but I already had the pattern for the passport dress and this one can't be that hard right? Well not quite. The passport dress had this weird cross over dart on the front, binding and a zip! That's a lot of new skills in the one outfit.

I finished the actual dress probably about 2 weeks ago now and it sat staring at me in the living room until I had time to just pick it up and do up the hem. Then it took me another 2 weeks to get a photo of it as daylight saving ended I was just plain tired after work.

Taking a photo of yourself is actually kind of hard.

The bedroom, only place with a full length mirror.
So the indoor photo turned out pretty crappy so I tried to take another one outside with the timer function on the camera.

You forget to smile properly when taking a photo of yourself!    

 Pattern: Lisette Passport dress (Simplicity 2209)
Fabric: Lisette Sateen
Size: I made the size 14 pattern but adjusted for the SIZE 18 WAIST (I supposedly have)

I can highly recommend the Lisette patterns for the beginner sewer. In fact, I've already made another top using another Lisette pattern which I will blog about (as soon as I can get better at taking photos of myself!).

The armholes in this dress are a bit wide and so if I lift my arm, you can see that it doesn't fit that great but I think it's because I could probably have gone with the size 14 without modifying.

My biggest shock when I first started making the dress, was that when I measured myself, the pattern was telling me that I had a size 18 waist. Like seriously?? All those early morning runs, interspersed by Jillian Michael's 30 day shred AND my swimming every weekend were doing nothing except that I have a SIZE 18 WAIST??

Anyway, once the shock was over, I'm pretty happy with the results even though the arm holes are a bit weird. I've already bought more fabric to make this again but I think I'll just go size 14 all the way.


5 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous Lien!
    Those patterns sizes are so darn confusing. I always measure as a size 18 waist too, even though I'm normally a 14 in shop bought clothes.
    I can't wait to try the Passport Dress now too.
    PS - do you mind if I use your photos on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Dress! I also have the passport pattern and think that it looks a better for my body shape. Just have to find the time to create it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! You have done a really great job. I know what you mean about the sizing. With the continental, I was a size 14 hips. Normally I am about a 10 but I went with it and then after the dress was finished, decided I probably could have just cut the whole thing as a size 12.

    ReplyDelete

Opinion Expressed