Monday, April 01, 2013

Easter - well needed break

The BFG had plans for us to go to Coonabarabran and at the eleventh hour, changed his mind. So we had 4 whole days with no plans to leave Sydney. I was secretly happy but also freaking annoyed about it as I could have organised a trip to Tasmania or somewhere nice before the baby comes.

Anyway, I'm generally quite unproductive when faced with long stretches of free time. This long weekend was no different. I've been quite tired from work and the idea of being able to sleep in every day was very appealing.

We organised an easter egg hunt for my nephews but did this in the front yard as we didn't want the dogs finding the chocolate first.

I also managed to attend my monthly book club meeting (we read Steve Job's biography - I really enjoyed this book - boss from hell but I can appreciate the dedication to good design). I made this cake to bring as I had some oranges that have been sitting around for a while. I also added a lime as our lime tree is now quite prolific. Seeing as I can't have the lime with gin and tonic, I have to find other uses for them.
Whole orange and lime cake - recipe here
Today, I went to Castlebrook Memorial Gardens to see where my father's ashes were interned. It's quite a lovely spot and I'm glad we chose it. I do think that a lot of funerals and creating memorials are more for the living than the dead. My dad would have thought it was too much trouble.
Castlebrook Memorial Park

In loving memory
When I found out that I was pregnant, I ordered a baby quilt kit off Etsy. I finally managed to finish the quilt top this weekend and have basted the quilt sandwich together. There are about a gazillion mistakes but what the heck, I'm pretty happy with how it has turned out for my first!

The pattern is called Pow Wow and the hardest bit was getting all the points to be pointy. I'm using a cotton batting and a chevron backing (not shown).  These are really bad photos off my iphone so hopefully will be able to get better ones when I finish it.

I'm still deciding whether or not to try my hand at free motion machine quilting it or just hand quilt it. I'm worried that I'll stuff it up with the machine (it will take ages to unpick) or I'll get bored very quickly if I hand quilt it. 
Pow Wow Quilt


Pow Wow Quilt
The dogs have also been really happy seeing us home quite a bit this weekend. I think they get really bored at home by themselves even though we have a large backyard for them to run around in. The BFG tries to take them out for walks as much as he can but Charlie (one on the right) is getting a bit nutso in his old age and gets quite anxious and aggro when we walk them together or encounter other people and dogs. We basically have to walk them separately which is a bit of a pain.
Snowy and Charlie keeping an eye on proceedings inside the house.
My pregnancy is progressing quite well. I can finally feel the baby move so that is exciting. We can't agree on names so will be a hot topic of discussion in our household. We still have to set up the nursery which I'm dreading as it means I lose my craft room. I'm going to see if I can still save a bit of space for me but I have so much stuff that some of it has to go. Where, I'm not sure as our house really lacks storage. At least I still have about 3 more months to procrastinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinion Expressed