Monday, April 22, 2013

Sewing Binge

I've been on a real sewing binge lately. Finished this top from Make It Perfect. It's the waterfall blouse which can be used as a maternity top. The fabric is from my stash. The blue/grey fabric at the bottom, I found at my local Vinnies for $3 (I think there were at least 1.5m there). So it was bargain.

It was quite fast to make. Took me around 2 nights after work but probably can be whipped up in a few hours.

Waterfall blouse
This weekend, I took the train down to Goulburn to meet with a real estate agent. I'm a bit sad, but I'm looking at selling the farm. I'm quite sentimental about it as it was my first property and my Dad put a lot of work into it. And he loved the place. But I know financially, it's the right thing to do as the maintenance on the farm is probably too much. My mum is happy to move back to Sydney and I think it will give us some peace of mind to know she's close to help if she needs it (not that she can't take care of herself).

On Sunday, I drove down to Canberra with my mum to go to the Bus Depot markets. Crazy right? They were having a retro themed market that day and I had marked it in my diary for a while. I have to say, I was a bit disappointed with it as everything was just so expensive! But it was still nice to see all the things I'd like in my house.

Oh well, I've been spending enough money lately so probably a good reason to watch my finances. I saw this cute caravan out the front. Parked on astro turf - what's not to love?

Old bus depot market
I had been itching to finish this quilt but had to wait till I got home to finish the binding. I stuffed up when I was cutting the fabric for the arrows and ran out of the green for the binding. I wrote to Sisters and Quilters (the Etsy seller I originally bought the kit from) and she still had some so I bought the extra I needed. Talk about fast shipping. I got it within a week - shipped from the States.


Pow Wow Quilt
I machine stitched the binding on one side and hand stitched the other side. I thought I'd get bored quickly but it really didn't take as long as I thought it was going to. This is my first quilting project and I'm amazed at myself that I didn't completely stuff it up. I'm imagining my new baby holding onto it like Linus from Peanuts.
Pow Wow Quilt





Onto other news, I was offered a permanent position where I'm currently contracting. I was quite surprised as I'm about to go on maternity leave in just over 2 months. But my manager said they will just find someone to fill me as they would like me to return!  Wow, like just wow. To actually be appreciated for my skills and knowledge. The feminist in me is totally stoked as it just proves that having a baby shouldn't be a reason why your career should suffer (I can see the BFG roll his eyes now).

Pregnancy update - I'm 26+4 weeks today. Woo hoo. I feel the baby move every day and my  obstetrician, at my last appointment, said that the baby has a strong heartbeat and is quite active.


 

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Your quilt is beautiful! Beautiful!

    I can't believe you drove all the way to Canberra for the bus depot markets! I totally know what you mean about it being expensive - we go often, but other than food, we rarely buy anything else from there.

    Hope you're enjoying the pregnancy - it seems to last forever, but goes so quickly really. It's the best thing ever though when the baby comes - awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoyed the process. Quilting never really appealed to me before but when I got pregnant, I wanted to make a quilted baby blanket/

      Delete

Opinion Expressed