Monday, May 20, 2013

Nearing the end of Autumn

My sisters and mother went to Vietnam for 2 weeks and asked me what I wanted. There isn't very much from Vietnam that I really want as I find most of the quality of their things a bit meh. When I went 4-5 years ago, I just got clothes made which was very cheap and the quality very good. But seeing as I'm on my own sewing binge, I asked for fabric.

And this is what I got - 3 metres of it. I'm thinking it can be made into a dress of some description.

Fabric from Vietnam

Our weekends are still filled with taking the Stooges to the dog park. This park is massive. We found a new path which loops right around. In between making sure the Stooges don't end up in the creek and facilitating (or preventing) them terrorising other dogs, it takes us a good 45 minutes to get back to the car which I think is probably plenty of exercise for dogs of their age.

Autumn

This weekend, I drove down with my mum to Goulburn to get some photos of things I'd like to sell. Mostly farm stuff - tools, generators etc. On the way down, I decided to stop at A.aace sewing centre in Liverpool. I first found them when I was trying to find a place that will fix my old Empisal sewing machine (the one that cost me $10 and another $110 to fix). I wanted to get my little Elna Elnita serviced. The guy who owns the place is great, he'll do it while you wait. His wife (I assume it's his wife), on the other hand is just plain cranky all the time. She was kind of like that the last time I went and no different this time. But because I'm quite happy with the service and I was going to drive through anyway, I thought I may as well go there.

Anyway, it now works great and seems to go pretty fast for such a small machine.

We stopped at Goulburn Diggers Club for lunch and they have a great view across from the park with all the deciduous trees still yellow and red.

Last of the autumn colours.
We were also going to rush back to Sydney on Sunday for my older nephew's birthday. I can't believe he's 4 already!! It seemed like not that long ago that my sister brought home this little michelin man. Anyway, like last year, he asked for a dinosaur cake but this time in orange. It must have been baby brain or something but I had to call the BFG when I was at the supermarket to ask what colours made up orange as there wasn't ready made orange food colouring. Seriously, my mind was just blank!

This is the third time I've made this cake. I decided to bake the cake in Goulburn on Saturday night and ice it when I got back to Sydney on Sunday. That plan was a complete FAIL. The instructions for the tin suggests using vegetable shortening to grease the pan so that the cake can come out easily. I decided to just wing it and just greased it with butter. Needless to say, the cake stuck and refused to be eased out of the tin. I ended up having to just break the cake up to get it out.

So we had to leave Goulburn early the next day so I could get home to bake the stupid cake again. This time, I just did what I should have done the first time round and used copha. The cake came out easily enough and it was just a matter of piping it. As you can see, not exactly a skill I've actually mastered.

When I was doing the piping, I said to the BFG that I am NEVER making this cake again. At the party, my second nephew, who's birthday is in September claimed that he too would like a dinosaur cake! 


Dinosaur cake

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled over your blog - it's nice here! =) The fabric is awesome! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete

Opinion Expressed