Monday, June 03, 2013

Burda sew-a-long

So the Burda-sew-a-long which I joined (hosted by The Curious Kiwi and Modern Vintage Cupcakes) ended in May. I'm a couple of days behind in posting about it. I have several excuses. Firstly, trying to get the right fabric without spending a month's salary. Second was having the energy to work on it. And third is the fact that Burda instructions are completely diabolical!

I'm making Burda 7587 - a swing jacket in View B (the shorter one).

The problem is that I've never tried a Burda pattern before and I really struggled with the inserting the collar. I sat on it for 2 days and realised I still wasn't getting anywhere. Obviously, this isn't such a popular pattern as there were hardly any other bloggers out there making this and giving suggestions on how to do this.

I eventually found this post on the Collette blog on how it was supposed to work.

Crap shite instructions from Burda

This is what I ended up with last night when I finally sewed the sleeves together. It's not lined, the hem hasn't been done and the buttons and button holes are still missing at the moment. 

When I tried this jacket on, I realised that it is NOT flattering at all. Especially for short people like me who currently looks like an Oompa Loompa. The collar is too big and it looks like a dressing gown. 


Unfinished
I think I'm going to ditch it and not waste any more time on it. That's kind of depressing but what heck. I think I need to just accept defeat. When I mentioned it to the BFG this morning, he goes to me "I tried to tell you that jackets like that don't look good on you. They're made for really tall skinny women. Remember the pumpkin jacket?"

So so true! The pumpkin jacket was this really cute one from French Connection a couple of years ago that I wanted to buy but it did have a $300 price tag. The BFG at the time didn't think it was going to be flattering but suggested that I try it on anyway. His first words were "You look like a pumpkin". So that was the end of that.

Now, what to do with a half finished jacket? If I donate it to Vinnies, will someone take pity on it and finish it up?

Anyway, to more uplifiting news. As of today, I only have 4 more weeks of work before I go on maternity leave. I'm so excited because it means I can actually have some time off work - absolutely guilt free!

Pregnancy update - I'm currently at 32w+3d and I feel huge. My lower back is killing me most nights so sleep has been difficult. We're still debating about names and we pretty much have everything we need. The BFG and I went to the Baby and Toddler expo and what I thought was going to be a 1 hour trip, turned into 4 hours, in which the BFG nearly went postal.


My belly and the pram blanket I'm knitting


No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinion Expressed