Sunday, March 02, 2014

Some little things for the little one

Wow, time goes by fast when you're having fun. I've been meaning to blog at least monthly so I would have an account of Mr M's first year. Never really got around to it but I have been taking heaps of photos.

Anyway, Mr M is growing up way too fast. I love him to bits. He's actually quite an easy baby. Sleeps through the night most nights, plays quite happily by himself and eats so much. We started him on solids at 5 months and like his Dad, takes to food with great gusto.

Since my sister has two boys, I didn't really need to buy any clothes for Mr M but when I was in Myer recently, they had the jacket below. I had to have it. The sales assistant even took the last size 0 off the mannequin for me. Took it home and it was too small. I was totally devastated. I can't even exchange it for a larger size. I have one chubba bubba.


 
So what does a loving crafting mother to do?


Make one of course. I couldn't find another similar print in jersey knit so just picked up whatever looked cute and boyish. Don't look too closely as the chevrons don't really match up. It is a reversible jacket and lined with pellon. The pattern is the OwlyBaby Sidewalk Jacket and actually says that it isn't suitable for knit fabrics. But meh, I only read that after I started cutting and it turned out quite well anyway.

Also, in preparation for our upcoming trip to Denmark, I made Mr M a viking hat. Pattern here. In fact, I'm making one for the BFG as well but I ran out of yarn so currently trying to source more of the same to finish it.



I'm not going to waffle on about how being a mother has been life changing yada yada. All I can say is that it's different. Mr M is such an integral part of our lives now and watching him develop into his own little person is pretty cool.

He's also started Day Care (speak to anyone in Sydney and the topics of conversation revolve around property and childcare - it seems). I've had to put him in to secure the spot (well I could just pay for the spot and keep him home but having some time to myself has been wonderful). He doesn't seem too traumatised from being institutionalised with strangers.

As for myself, I've started running and swimming again. I thought I would get right back into all of that after giving birth (ok so not right after - maybe 6 weeks after). Seriously, 7 months later and I'm still not feeling 100% like myself. I guess I underestimated the time it would take to feel normal again.

I also need to really get my ninja research skills on and start working out what we are going to do in Europe. I've now come to the realisation that flying into Frankfurt is a dumb idea. I don't think there is all that much to see and do there and should have chosen to fly into Munich or Paris. Oh well, at least one thing you can probably count on in Germany, is that there will be some well-oiled train that will get us to the next destination.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, don't feel bad about not getting to Austria. I bet your trip was amazing. Mine was just a work trip. In and out with a little me time squeezed in to make the most of being on the other side of the world in a city I'd probably never have chosen to go see myself. My first trip to Europe actually and my workmates and friends all tell me I'd love Eastern Europe over Austria. I'll have to take their word. I did like pottering about playing tourist, whatever the reason.
    Now, that Vikings hat. I've seen it elsewhere this week, but can't recall where. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your musings about motherhood - I definitely relate.

    Your Mr M looks like a total delight. And I am so impressed at your skills - whipping up that little jacket! It looks wonderful! I've book marked the Etsy listing for some time in the future when I actually start sewing baby clothes (one of my resolutions).

    I keep finding stashes of corduroy overalls and cute vintage suits in a size 0 while thrifting and my son has just started size 1s and it makes me so sad! You're lucky to have had lots of clothes passed on - I tried my best to find most clothing items second hand for my son too.

    I hope you enjoyed/are enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Opinion Expressed